I am continuing to reflect on the book Daring Greatly by Brene Brown with these 10 guideposts for Wholehearted Living. She is a researcher on shame and vulnerability. Brene writes about how the courage to be vulnerable transforms the way we live, love, and even parent and lead.
Brene has a list of 10 guideposts for Wholehearted Living to help each of us with finding the courage to vulnerable.
She encourages us to each cultivate:
1. Authenticity – letting go of what people think
2. Self-compassion – letting go of perfectionism
3. Resilient Spirit – letting go of numbing and powerlessness
4. Gratitude & Joy – letting go of scarcity and fear of the dark
5. Intuition & Trusting Faith – letting go of the need for certainty
6. Creativity – letting go of comparison
7. Play & Rest – letting go of exhaustion as a status symbol and productivity as self-worth
8. Calm & Stillness – letting go of anxiety as a lifestyle
9. Meaningful Work – letting go of self-doubt and “supposed to”
10. Laughter, Song & Dance – letting go of being cool and “always in control.”
It is quite a list! Growing up in the mid-west, I have been good at the “superwoman” role – working and being busy to the point of exhaustion, as well as judging myself based on what I am doing instead of who I am being. My choice to focus on Healing Journey Options this year has been one of cultivating more play and rest in my life! Yes, I am still working diligently and also taking more time for self care, family and friends!
I encourage each of you to reflect on your life and choose one of these guideposts for Wholehearted Living to focus on the next month…